If they choose to remain in their family home, I always advise them to begin a small remodeling process now, while health and finances allow it. The goal is to age in place comfortably and safely by making some minor adjustments to the house.
Whether you or a loved one reside in Carmel, Fishers, Cicero, Indianapolis, Brownsburg, or anywhere in our fine state of Indiana, these tips will make it easier for a senior to safely navigate a house.
1) Since many accidents happen in the bathroom, remodel it first. Install grab bars, and slip-free and step-free showers. Do whatever is feasible to make the bathroom larger to allow plenty of space for a wheelchair and a caregiver. Don’t forget to widen the doorway for a wheelchair.
2) As time and finances allow, widen all doorways in the home to make room for a wheelchair. Replace doorknobs with handles, an idea that will reduce pain for those with arthritis.
3) Steps leading to the entrance of the home should be replaced, if at all possible. Install ramps and grab bars in convenient spots.
4) If the home has more than one level, plan in advance to bring as much as possible to the first level. This includes a bedroom, bathroom, and laundry room.
5) Remodel the kitchen, installing appliances with easy-to-turn knobs. Many companies specialize in a wide number of features that can make working in the kitchen far easier for a senior citizen. Things like the installation of adjustable counter tops and lowered cabinets and pantries will make life far easier for any elder in the kitchen.
6) If the house is especially large, or if caregivers will be living upstairs, install an intercom for reliable communication.
If you or a loved one will be considering moving from your family home in the future, I hope you’ll consider contacting me for a chat. As a certified Senior Housing Professional, I possess the training and experience to help Indiana seniors, boomers, and their families make wise decisions in the moving process and in the sale of a family home. And, I love working with seniors!