Join me in saluting family caregivers across Indianapolis and think about a few ways you can recognize a family caregiver in your neighborhood or perhaps a friend or co-worker. Most importantly, if you are a caregiver, please know that we appreciate your hard work on behalf of your loved one!
If your group has an event going on this month to appreciate Indiana family caregivers, please let me know about it and I’ll be sure and help publicize it on my Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ pages.
As a Certified Senior Housing Professional in Indianapolis, I work with family caregivers who are helping their senior parents or spouse through the challenge of day-to-day living. When the time comes for an older parent to seek new housing, the adult children or the spouse typically turn to me for assistance in selling the older adult’s home and preparing them for a move (downsizing) to either a family member’s home or an assisted living community or retirement community in Central Indiana.
1) If you own or manage a local business, why not offer a free service or goodie for family caregivers through the month of November?
2) Send a thank you card, bouquet of flowers, or basket of treats to brighten up a family caregiver’s day.
3) Volunteer to make Thanksgiving dinner for a caregiver family you know.
4) The holiday season is upon us soon and it’s a busy time for everyone, including family caregivers from Fishers to Carmel to the Southside of Indy. Ask a caregiver you know how you can help them prepare for the holidays. Perhaps help with decorations, shopping, or just basic tasks so they have time to take care of the holiday jobs.
5) The most important commodity to any family caregiver is almost always TIME, so offer to provide some respite care or sit with their family member to allow the caregiver some time off and a break for a day or night, or what have you.
The hard work, patience, and love shown by the Indy family caregivers I meet with is so cool! Here’s a great chance for you to do something special for a family caregiver in your world – or if you’re a family caregiver yourself – do something special for YOU.
It’s my job as a Certified Senior Housing Professional ( a real estate agent in Indianapolis who is specially trained in working with seniors and family caregivers) to help older adults and those who support them prepare for a late-in-life transition.
Please feel free to contact me anytime for advice and information with no obligation.
The link below contains links to a number of resources in Indy and across Indianapolis for family caregivers, including respite care, help with benefits, and more.