While the harsh Indiana winter snow and ice can be dangerous for all ages, seniors are especially susceptible to the dangerous slips and falls that slick conditions provide.
The CDC explains that seniors
Thanks to my friend, Kent, at Home Safe Homes in Indianapolis for sharing a few ways to prevent falls during winter months:
1) Exercise! Strong leg muscles lead to better balance and stability as we navigate slippery conditions.
2) Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Customers who need to leave a store through a slippery parking lot, can usually count on employees to help them. In addition to being a nice thing to do, stores would much rather provide for the safety of their customers than have someone fall on their property!
3) Ensure the railings near steps and doorways are secure around your property. To prevent slips and falls, fix them before the winter months.
4) Plan ahead to have someone – a family member, friend, or contractor – clear patios and sidewalks immediately after winter storms. Many lawn maintenance companies provide this service.
5) Keep hands free. Keep them free to grab hold of the nearest object if you slip. Also, extended arms help with balance on slippery surfaces.